This rich soup is filling and very easy to make – the prep time only takes about 15 minutes, and then you can let it simmer as go about your business. I got the inspiration from RecipeGirl.com and then tweaked the recipe based on what I had on hand.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large russet potato, chopped into 1/2 – 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cup chopped vegetables, such as: carrots, peas, green beans, corn, spinach (I used frozen mixed vegetables plus some frozen spinach)
1. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add garlic and onions and reduce heat to medium, then cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to get soft.
2. Add the flour and stir until it coats the onions. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until the flour just starts to become golden in color. Be careful not to overcook the flour.
3. Pour in the vegetable stock and stir in the potatoes and vegetables. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!